Your Endless Love to Self Care
We’re already in February of 2021 with the reincarnation of 2020 still here. Ugh! Some of us have entered into stress zone 2.0 and we’re tired, overworked, frustrated and just ain’t feeling it. So, what can we do to get out of this funk? How about a little self-care to get you through the day?
Self-care is anything that you do to improve your mental, physical and spiritual well-being. And the great thing is that you can make it to whatever you want! But if you’re unsure where to start, I’ve provided some tips and examples of how to re-align, reconnect, re-affirm, re-arrange and retail yourself to some moments of peace and joy.
Have you looked at your schedule lately? What’s missing? Have you scheduled a time for your self-care day or session? If not, try placing self-care sessions into your daily grind to relieve the stress and tension that can hit us like a ton of bricks.
Scheduling these sessions are a sure bet to regrouping for the rest of the day with some stellar vibes.
• Go outside and take a walk to your nearby park or trail.
• Create a playlist.
• Step away from the screen (including your phone) and take some time to read a book.
• Meditate or try some breathing exercises.
• Take a nap, studies show that naps are great for rejuvenating the body and mind to take on the rest of the day.
Pick up the phone and call someone that you haven’t connected with in a while. This convo is meant to inspire, motivate or bring in great energy for both of you. Create some undisturbed space and drink in the compliments, laughter, and positive energy that our minds need.
Not sure what to say? I got you covered. The best way to lead the chat is to be the one asking questions. Most times their answers can reconnect with your thoughts and groovy vibes.
• What’s their favorite color lately?
• How are their furry babies (pets) doing? What silly things have they gotten themselves into?
• Throw in the “if you could travel anywhere right now” question.
• What hobbies have sparked interest lately?
• For deeper conversations, use the 3G approach: What’s good in your life? What are you grateful for? What goals would you like to accomplish?
Affirmations are positive statements that can help you overcome challenges and obstacles in your life. To re-affirm simply means that you’re stating those positive call-outs over and over again as if you’re putting your stamp on it. The more you use these affirmations, the more positive vibes step in and remove the yucky ones.
• Grab a book that has daily affirmations
• Place some fun sticky notes of affirmations around your home so you can catch a glimpse of good vibes 24/7
• Crafty? Create a sketchbook of daily affirmations and give it to someone when done.
• Commit to posting one affirmation a day on social media. A power move when showing accountability towards positive reinforcement.
I can rest, recharge and still be productive.
I am brave enough to see the light even on my darkest days.
I have full power over what could be.
Been staring at that messy room that you were planning to have as a space for exercise and meditation? What about that bookshelf you’ve been meaning to refurbish and stage for your books still sitting in the boxes since you’ve moved? We’ve all had projects that we want to tackle. And there’s no time like the pandemic to get it done.
When you create that space to re-organize or re-arrange your body and mind feels a lot better and at ease seeing your new and improved project completed.
• Straighten up small messes, laundry, dishes, cluttered mail.
• Make your bed daily.
• Re-organize the annoying Tupperware cabinet!
• Donate old clothes, jewelry, and furniture that no longer serves you. Marie Kondo that shit!
• Remember that playlist you created? Crank up the tunes as you put your projects in action.
Support your self-care habits by shopping from Black-Owned sex toy shops, health, and wellness brands. Give yourself love by supporting local retailers in your community and stop giving to big corps. Make a difference by donating to charities that dedicate to serving others that need health and wellness resources that can’t afford it. Not only are you getting to know your community, but you’re also effectively contributing to the economic growth by shopping small businesses.
There’s nothing better than building a relationship with your local Black-Owned retailer while getting what needs to enhance your self-care. Check out these online retailers while discovering what's near you:
We're in this together. So it's okay to take it day by day. Just remember, the self-care is your guide to make the best of today. Provide the nutrients you need to be the best you.